Thursday, October 25, 2012

Dwele Review

Andwele Gardner, better known as Dwele is one of those singers that I've only recently begin to pay attention to. I knew of him from his collaborations with Slum Village, but I had never really given him much thought. I somewhat begin to check him out when he released "Some Kinda...." in 2005. While I liked "I think I Love U" and "Weekend Love", I thought that album had much fillers, not so much that the material was bad, but it was just a hit or miss. I really begin to pay more attention to him when he released "Sketches Of A Man". 

Believe it or not, it was out of nowhere that this happened. One day I was shopping on amazon and I came across SOAM, and decided to download the album via iTunes (at this time I had not really begin using the amazon downloads), and I'm glad that I did. I thought the album showed much growth. While it had a few interludes, I do appreciate it was musical interludes and not the skit nonsense that so many artists pull to fill up their albums! He has a pretty nice rendition of "Open Your Eyes" on the album as well as another track called "Brandi" where he reunites with Slum Village. "Five Dolla Mic" is a two minute interlude that really should have been a full song. Other gems on this record include "Blow Your Mind" which should have been a full song, "If You Want To", "Love Ultra", and "Vain", "

He has recently released his latest LP called "The Greater One" which feels like Neo-Soul meets "New Jack Swing. It features appearances from Raheem Devaughn, J. Tait, and Monica Blaire. The track w/ Raheem is nice and I'm not even a Raheem fan (I like "You" but much of his stuff is rather generic IMO). Highlights of this album are"Going Leaving", "Takes 2 2 Tango","What You Gotta Do", "Obey", and "Special".

No comments:

Post a Comment