Friday, August 17, 2012

SWV-I Missed Us

I know it's somewhat late, but I thought that I would talk about the new album from SWV. Now many of us have been anticipating the album since the last time we heard from them was 1997 before Coko went solo in 1999 and released "Hot Coko", her solo debut. It spawned two singles that I know of "Sunshine" which got moderate play on urban radio and BET, and "Trifflin" which could not compete w/ the former.  In 2005-2006, Coko comes back w/ a gospel album which, in my opinion was a hit or miss, it had some good tracks on it, but other tracks on the disc could have been much better. On the other hand, her second gospel album , "The Winner in Me" which was superb, not to mention much more mature (spiritually speaking that is).

Back to SWV, I grew up on them and I  had been anticipating an comeback album from them since I saw them on the BET awardas back in 2008 when Alicia Keys brought them on the stage! I had no idea that in 2011 I'd hear "Co-Sign", the first single off the new album, "I missed us", which is a good album, but I do wish it had a few more ballads. "Show Off" is pretty good, but it would have been nice to have some ballads similar to "Weak", "Rain", "Downtown", and "All Night Long"(good job to Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds"). "Everything I Love" really did not need to be on the CD, it probably would have been better on a soundtrack. My highlights are "Co-Sign", "All About You" which has the New Jack sound all the way, from the hype man to the production of the DJ used "Better Than I" and the remake of "If Only You Knew". "Do Ya" actually took a few listens to get used to because I wasn't expecting Coko to go there lol, not that she did anything dirty, but the rap was a bit risque from Brianna, and while I was not bothered by it, I'm sure some of the Christians who were wanting Coko to stay in gospel were. But is that really a shocker? The track is hot w/ a Chaka Khan sample. "The Best Years" is a laid back track which has a rather impressive ending, I actually thought I was listening to a different song because the entire production switched. My other favorite track "Better Than I" has a generic message but listening to LeeLee and Coko exchange verses was satisfying and Taj's rap shows that she can hang w/ the younger ones w/o coming across as desperate.

The only track I did not really care for was "Keep You Home", that one would be my least favorite. I'm glad to see that the women are still doing their thing, and I was glad that we got to hear other vocals besides Coko's. Not that I don't like her voice b/c she can sing her ass off, but after a while it gets kind of old hearing her do song after song. What were your highlight tracks of this album? Let's hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment